Funding for home help.

Funding home help can prove a challenge; here are a few ideas on how to go about it

The first port of call is to ask your local authority for an assessment of your care needs; as everyone is entitled to this assessment whatever their financial position. If your local authority finds you need care support, then they’ll conduct a means test. This assessment of your finances will determine whether the local authority will contribute to your care costs or not.

Your local authority may be able to help, however, bear in mind that most people have to pay some contribution to their care now. As things stand, anyone with capital including property of more than £23,250, won’t have care provided by the local authority.
However, if your local authority will provide some or all of the care, you’ll be given a personal budget; and you may be able to use this to choose your home help provider. You don’t necessarily have to use the local authority’s care service.
Remember too, that some healthcare, rather than social care, may be funded by the NHS, either in a hospital or the community; and if this care is complex, a continuing healthcare package may be put in place that’s funded by the NHS.

Another source to turn to for home care help funding costs is a charity or fund. The Family Fund, for example, gives grants to support children with severe disabilities. Look around to see if there is a charity related to your line of work or profession – which may be able to help.

You may also find seeking independent financial advice of assistance, if you do, look for an adviser who specialises in matters relating to care funding. In addition, make an appointment at your local Citizens Advice Bureau, as they too have comprehensive experience in such matters.

This entry was posted in Helpful Information and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.