Keeping Warm in Winter
• Winter fuel payments are made by the government to people who are aged 60 or over before 20 September that year. Over 60s receive £250, over 80s receive £400. For more information call the Winter Fuel Payment helpline on 08459 151515 or visit www.dwp.gov.uk.
• Cold Weather Payments are automatically paid to people receiving certain income related benefits during periods of very cold weather.
• Coldbusters offers grants towards improving the heating/insulation in the homes of people who live in privately rented or owned properties who also receive certain benefits. Call 0800 358 6668 for more information.
• The Houseproud Scheme allows people to take out a loan against their house to carry out improvements, including insulation measures. Call 0800 783 7569 for more information.
• Warm Front (0800 316 2805, www.warmfront.co.uk) gives grants to people who are living in privately rented/owned accommodation who need help improving the heating and insulation in their home who are also receiving certain income or disability related benefits.
• Home Heat Helpline (0800 33 66 99, www.homeheathelpline.org.uk) offers information and advice on grants, benefits and energy efficiency measures to people struggling to pay their fuel bills and stay warm